• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some skis do not change construction or top sheet graphics and those skis give the ski shop the option of NOT going on sale in March but instead get mixed in with the next season's inventory.

If a ski shop gets their purchasing right they will be sold out of this season's most popular skis and popular sizes well before March. In other words if you are shopping for price, you don't usually get the best ski or size. OTOH if it is a bad snow year and sales are slow then there could be great choices and prices come March.
Yeah I always seem to need the most popular length, i.e. the longest ( 6 7 267lbs). I always see the skis I am interested in on sale but seldom In the size I need, not want.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hey Phil how wide/whatsth sidecut of the Rustler 9?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
same size break? IE 180, 188?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like Nordica's Proto Project will include a boot this year....
Nordica-Proto-Featured.jpg

The all new ProMachine, it will be basically a 98mm version of thier new Speedmachine replacing the GPX in the line. It will be a (Michelin branded) Gripwalk soled boot too. We will see a women's version of the Strider boot too.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Head has a new tech fitting boot. Saw a picture, missed the rep visit.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

HarkinBanks

Booting up
Skier
Volkl revamped its most popular ski, the Mantra, for fall 2018. We traveled to Austria to get a first-hand look at its next generation, the Volkl Mantra M5.

Volkl just redesigned its most popular ski. The result, in short, is a versatile ripper that should have skiers singing its praises. The brand invited GearJunkie to its Straubing, Germany, factory to see how it builds the new all-mountain/freeride Mantra M5. So of course, we took it for a ride.

In short: The Volkl Mantra M5 is a versatile ski that rips on groomers and crud alike. We didn’t get a chance to charge it on powder, but we expect it would be a great ride on the soft stuff too.

Volkl Mantra M5: Redesign of a Popular Ski
First released in 2005, the Mantra is Volkl’s most popular all-mountain ski, dwarfing all other models in sales. The new M5 ($825) marks its fifth generation with several key improvements over its predecessors.

The M5 (134/96/117) has softer flex in the middle, a narrower width underfoot at 96 mm, and a move away from full rocker to tip and tail rocker, blending 2 mm of camber underfoot.

Read full release at GearJunkie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another teaser shot of this boot from one of Head's athletes

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Blister has a podcast discussion with Volkl R&D/design guys about the new Mantra, FYI

Sponsor

Staff online